Melchers Estate and Memorial Gallery 224 Washington St.
Belmont, built in 1761
by John Richards esq., is a historic house and art studio that once belonged
to famous American artist Gari Melchers. Melchers bought this house in
1916 and lived there until his death in 1932. The home is furnished
with antiques and paintings collected during their years of travel throughout
the United States and Europe. The art studio is left as it was, with art
materials and paintings left about. More
(Marye House) Sunken Rd.
built in 1836 by John Lawrence Marye and is currently home to the dean
of the Mary Washington College. Inside the house (which is seldom open
for public tours) are two Italian fireplace mantels which were meant for
the White House, but never arrived due to imperfections. The Maryes bought
During the Civil War, General Lee
used Brompton for fortification against attacks on Maryes Heights in the
Battles of 1862 and 1863. More
Estate 120 Chatham Lane, off White
An 18th century
Georgian mansion that served as Union headquarters and field hospital during
the Battle of Fredericksburg. Clara Barton and Walt Whitman provided care
for the wounded soldiers at Chatham. Built between
1768 and 1771 by William Fitzhugh. George Washington was a frequent
guest of Fitzhugh after the Revolutionary War. In the 18th century it was
the center of hospitality, notably for the racing set. More
The Chimneys 623 Caroline St.
located at 623 Caroline Street was once part of a larger building known
as "The Chimney's". The Chimney's was built in 1769 by local
businessman Charles Yates. At one time Ellen "Nell" Lewis Herndon, wife
of President Chester A. Arthur lived here (before she knew Chester). The
Chimneys was as private residence until 1967, when the Historic Fredericksburg
Foundation acquired it for their headquarters. In recent history, the building
has been Le Lafayette French Restaurant, and is now the 623 Tapas Bistro.
Ellwood Rt. 20, just off State Route
used as a Union headquarters. Cemetery includes the grave of "Stonewall"
Jackson's amputated arm. Entry to the grounds is permitted with a parking
pass obtained at the Chancellorsville Visitor Center. The fee is $3.00
and provides entry to all the Battlefields. Ellwood is just
on the other side of the Spotsylvania and Orange County border. More
This page is available for adoption. We are currently looking for an area guide to keep this page up-to-date and accurate. Currently this page is updated and maintained by the webmaster. If you are interested in helping out SimplyFredericksburg.com by updating pages and catagories, please contact them here.